The Mackeys

Monday, May 11, 2009

Anything But That

David bonked his face on Gran-Gran's dining room table and got a bloody nose. I cleaned him up and cradled him in my arms.

Me: Want me to sing something?
David: Yes, please.
Me: OK. What?
D: You pick it.

I started singing "Little Green Frog."
D: No, not that.

I began "Abba-Dabba" (his favorite nail-trimming song).
D: No.

Me: Then what?
D: I want you to pick it.

I offered "Barges."
D: I don't want to sing that one.

Me: "Rainbow Connection?"
D: Nah.

Me: "Edelweiss?"
D: Nope.

Me: Well then, what do you want to hear?
D: You pick it, Mama.

I then sang the first bar of about twenty songs, from "Twinkle Twinkle" and "ABCs" (which of course, are the same song), to "Three Little Monkeys," and even, quite randomly, "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)", which had come up earlier in the adults' conversation. For all of them he said no almost as soon as I began. Finally at the Sesame Street theme song, he said yes. I've never sung this to him before. I only tell you this in case a fickle nearly-four-year-old tells you you get to pick it when really you don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home