The Mackeys

Sunday, September 23, 2007

On Not Being 100

Me, driving, under my breath as I passed an exceptionally slow car and cast a sideways glance at the driver: Oh, so that's why you're driving so slow: you're 100!
Sarah, from the backseat: I don't want you to be 100, Mommy.
Me, amused: So you prefer the alternative?
Sarah: What do you mean?
Me: Don't worry. By the time I'm 100, you guys will be about 70 yourselves.

Sarah: I don't want to be that old. I want to stop after high school.
Charlie, laughing: What are you talking about?
Sarah: I just want to go up to high school, but no older than that.
Me: Then what?
Sarah, smirking: Then, go back down again.

Charlie: But Sarah, that would mean you couldn't go to college. Don't you want to go to college?
Sarah: OK, then I'll go up to college. But what about that thing that comes after college?
Charlie: You mean business school.
Sarah: Yeah, business school. I'll go up to that, then that's it.
Charlie: But Sarah, then you'll never get a job. And you'll never be rich.
Sarah: Does that mean I can't have a favorite movie?
Charlie, laughing: Of course it doesn't mean that.

Sarah: Then I'll go up to college, and then come back down again.
Me, laughing: OK, but you know it doesn't work that way, right?
Sarah: I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home