The Mackeys

Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Von Mackey Family Singers

Midway through the family camp weekend, I told Bryant that I finally figured out how to explain what family camp is to people who've never heard of it: it's just like in "Dirty Dancing." True to form, the last night culminated in a talent show held on the stage of the lodge. [I tried to convince Bryant how funny it would be if he got up there and sang "I Feel Pretty" but I couldn't talk him into it. Did I mention there is no alcohol at family camp?]

We did not sign up in advance to be in the show, but when the time came, Allison was in her element. She found Mr. Greg -- the camp coordinator, guitar player, and guest talent manager -- and asked if she could sing a song in the show. He needed corroboration from her parents, but when we said it was OK, he worked her in the schedule. I asked Sarah if she wanted to sing too, and suggested they sing Edelweiss, because they both know it. The girls enthusiastically agreed.

I asked David if he wanted to sing Edelweiss on stage with the girls, and he surprised me by saying yes. He knows it too, but can be shy to sing it in front of other people. Then I asked Charlie if he wanted to go up too, and he also surprised me by saying yes.

The Von Mackey Family Singers were a huge hit. I only wish we videotaped it. Sarah and Allison introduced themselves and their brothers. Charlie became mute upon hitting the stage, opening and closing his mouth but pretending to be unable to speak, leaving the ever-poised Sarah to say, "And that's our brother Charlie, he's 8, and he isn't talking."

The girls sang beautifully, melodiously, serenely. David stood near them but slightly in front, and sang loudly, "Edelweiss, edelweiss. Edelweiss, edelweiss" throughout the entire song. He never moved beyond that line, but he sang earnestly, and with gusto. Charlie provided visual comedy, alternately standing, walking, and tripping over his own feet behind the girls. They never missed a beat.

Many families came up to us at breakfast to tell us how much they enjoyed the performance. As Mr. Greg told us goodbye the next day as we packed up to leave camp, he told the children he'll never again be able to hear Edelweiss without thinking of them.


the children nestled all snug in their cabin



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home