The Mackeys

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's In a Name?

I heard David and Allison talking in the other room, when Allison called out to me, "Mommy, what's David's middle name?"

"Robert," I answered, and went on talking to Bryant in the kitchen.

A minute later, Allison called out, "David's starting to cry."

I called him in to me and he appeared in the doorway with a very sad face and huge tears in his eyes.

"What's the matter?" I asked him. "Are you hurt?"

"I don't want to be a Robert," he said sadly.

"A what?" I asked. (I thought he said "robber.")

"I don't want to be a Robert!"

I knelt down and looked him in the face. "Well you know WHY you're called Robert? Robert is a very special name. It's Grandpa's name! And it's Uncle's name! And it was even Daddy's Grandpa's name! Isn't that wonderful?"

"No. I don't want it to be my name."

"OK. What do you want your middle name to be?"

"I don't want to have a middle name. I just want to be David Mackey."

"OK! You can just be David Mackey."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home