The Mackeys

Thursday, January 18, 2007

On Catholicism

Charlie observed that he is the only Catholic child in his class. He has a lot of Catholic friends from our church, but I racked my brain and couldn't think of any other Catholic children in his class, so I told him I think he's right. Sarah then asked too, and I think it is the same for her.

I was surprised by this, since I am still colored by the world view of growing up in Milton where all through school people in my class were mostly Catholic, with some Jewish people, and a very few Protestants. When I got to college, 14 of the 19 girls in our 2 suites were Catholic. I didn't understand why all of them were so amazed by this, since it was perfectly in keeping with the ratio I was accustomed to, but looking back on it I bet they did put us together deliberately. It certainly was nice to have a big group to go to Mass with every week.

It will be different for our children to grow up as a Catholic minority in the South. I guess there are still a lot of misconceptions and stereotypes associated with Catholicism around here. Charlie in particular has been asking a lot of questions: Are Catholics Christians? What's the difference between Catholics and Baptists? What is the difference between Christians and Jewish people? Can you be Christian and Jewish? When did Daddy become Catholic? What did Daddy used to believe? And Charlie's observation about the conversion process: "I'm sure it's not that simple to just say you believe this and then suddenly you're Catholic -- right?"

Sarah has joined in too, and some of their questions are stumping me. For instance, last night they asked if you are Christian and then you are adopted by a Jewish family, what are you then? (My answer: it depends on how old you are when you are adopted, and whether you were baptized, and what you believe). It's so interesting to watch them thinking about these things and asking so many questions. Charlie is excited about making his First Communion this year (May 6) and it is amazing to guide these children along their faith journeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home